Wednesday 23 December 2009

A long day, an icy day and a last day

It was my last day on The George Lamb Show on Sunday - sad for many, not so much for others. The vibe in the studio was slightly low, not due to me leaving, but rather the consumption of alcohol that had taken place over the weekend, at George's 30th birthday.

After a decent send off, I hit the streets of London again to buy even more presents and spend a load more money, before heading to Covent Garden to meet Helen, Lauren and my sis. We went to Fire and Stone for pizza (standard) and had a good ole catch up. Helen and I then found ourselves sitting in a tiny little pub, enjoying a Hobgoblin and chatting before working out how to get to our friend Dan's house, for his Christmas party.

Having stuffed myself with pizza, I was not in the mood for anymore food. On arrival to Dan's palace, however, I was confronted with something I could not refuse; a Christmas Kebab! That's right, a skewer of stuffing, peas, roast potatoes and sprouts with a dip of gravy...it was delish (I had 3 - bad idea)

I couldn't stay long at Dan's as I had to trek back (Stoke Newington is an awful long way out!) and meet Seb (back from L.A.) and Sam. We went to our favourite little pub in the Hampstead area, The Wells and enjoyed a chat, some food...and a glass of fizzy water (me) Seb rushed off to see his other mate Dom and Sam and I retired to the flat. Neither of us could stay awake, so it was early bed.

I awoke late(ish) on Monday and packed an overnight bag, before grabbing a Gails coffee (Gail's is the little cake shop opposite my flat) and getting on the tube to Edgware. This was the decided pick-up destination, where Ford, the lovely Captain and Velvet Hands would meet me in the Bysee (a sort of people carrier thing) and drive us up to Manchester. Due to the weather and traffic, they were delayed...so I wondered round Edgware, bought Focus magazine and read it with a lemonade.

When they arrived, we hit the road and arrived in Manchester around 4.30. This was not ideal, but a thorough and speedy soundcheck meant we were set up and happy by 6.45. The show started at 8, so I took it upon myself to get grub in before...this took the form of a pizza (a hot chicken one, with loads of chillies and jalepenos on it...WOAH!) After wolfing it down, it was time to do the show, which we did, and very well if I do say so myself. Ford played a great show, Hands and I didn't mess up, the crowd were lovely and we raised a lot of money!

After a pack down (and deciding to leave the Bysee load-in until the morning) we nipped round the corner to our hotel - The Crowne Plaza dontcha know - to check-in and abuse the bar. Hands and I hit the pear cider, a wonderful drink for that time of night (sorry, morning...it was 1am) and we wiled away a couple of hours on a relatively uncomfy sofa. By 3am, I was in my bed...and WHAT a bed. It was probably the best bed I have ever slept in. I was out like a light and didn't wake up until 9:45 (in a kind of Lost In Translation style scene where everything was quiet and I was just staring out of the window at the city)

Shower, coffee, down for the load-in. Everything was going well and to plan, until we got to the Bysee. It was stuck and the back wheel kept slipping on the ice. We faffed around for almost an hour, pushing, pulling and generally getting frustrated, until we finally managed to manouver it out of the tight space it was in (without hitting the BMW next to it) We packed the van and hit the road, late and tired. What was to be a quick trip home, had already turned into a nightmare...and it didn't get any better, we had to drive slowly because of the snow and therefore, I didn't get back to London until about 8pm. I had organised leaving drinks at work that night - but didn't get back in time, what a joke!

I had a quick shower - put on fresh clothes, than caught the tube to Leicester Square. I met Helen quickly for a chat, glass of vino and pasta at Med Kitchen, then I bolted for the Haymarket Hotel. It was the Beggars Banquet Christmas Party - a masquerade ball actually - so I donned my reindeer eye mask and headed into the melee. It was a lovely evening, the whiskey and gingers were flowing, some of the 6 Music Music News team were there, and we shared some food (tapas) and a dance (on a very 70s chic dancefloor). After "doing the rounds" and making sure I'd seen everyone I needed, I left at a very reasonable time of 1am. This was to ensure I wasn't thrown into the swimming pool in the middle of the room - as people had started getting ever so slightly drunk by that point.

The nightbus whisked me to Hampstead Heath and I crashed into bed, realising that I needed to pack for going home the next day. "I'll do it tomorrow" I thought, and fell asleep. Indeed, that seemed like a good idea at the time....

...this morning, however, it was the worst idea I could of had, as I scurried around throwing shirts and trousers into a bag, trying to remember everything I'd need whilst attempting to keep up the morning routine to time. I got everything I needed and headed to work - my last day at 6 Music.

The office is ghostly today - I think everyone had the right idea and booked this week off. I have packed my desk, tied up my loose ends and am now ready to go. I enjoyed a thai lunch with Pip earlier and will no doubt have a wonderful family meal tonight. It will be weird not coming into the building for the next 12 days...weird, but bloody brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment