Saturday 19 December 2009

Is it Saturday already!?

Where has this week gone? Last time I checked, I hadn't got any Christmas presents for anyone and still had loads of work to do. Oh, that's still the case!

Well, lets round up the week as quickly as it has passed for me:
Wednesday was back to the grindstone, we spent the morning recording links for THE BEST OF show, which will be going out on Christmas weekend. After work, I was treated to a thai dinner at one of my favourite little restaurants (Together Thai) by the lovely gents at Polydor Records. Myself and some of the Radio 2 gang got stuck into some food and beer (green tea for me) and I was on the way home by 8.40.

Thursday eve had a treat in store, in the form of dinner, drinks and the company of Helen. We enjoyed a Samuel Smiths beer before going to another favourite restaurant of mine, Odins. Unfortunately this time, no one was there to pick up the bill! We had a bottle of red, some amazing food (I had salmon and pheasant) and a lot of catching up. We hopped in a cab to go to London Bridge and have a few more drinks at Emily, Becki and Maddie's flat. It was all very festive - and lovely to see the gals (even if it was brief) - and I was home by midnight.

I didn't get much sleep, Friday brought an early morning - it was Sir Terry Wogan's final Radio 2 breakfast show. I lept from my bed into the cold and was out the door by 7am. I had composed a poem for Terry ('Wave By To Wogan') which I framed and gave to him. I recieved my usual nod of approval from through the glass - and a big hug, from the man himself and top Producer...Dr Alan Boyd. Crowds swarmed Western House that day, and the suits were on form; Mark Thompson, Tim Davie, Alan Yentob had all turned out to wish the head of the TOGs a fine farewell.

The rest of the day was spent tying up loose ends, as you do...oh, and interviewing Will Young (also as you do!) What a lovely guy he was. I sped out of the office early, so that I could get down to Bush Hall and soundcheck for David Ford's 9th "Milk and Cookies". Unfortunately due to some technical issues, we ran a bit late. Still time for me to meet Helen and the good lady wife and snaffle up a Nandos. The gig started just after 8 and although we were all slightly nervous about the un-rehearsed set, it all went pretty well.

Very rudely, I had to fly out of the doors at the end of the gig. I'd booked a cab for me and the good lady, as we were headed to George Lamb's 30th birthday in Soho. After squeezing into a crammed bar, we found a drink and a spot and spent an hour mingling (mainly with the cool 6 Music bods who were there) We treated ourselves to a cab home too (it was too cold to be waiting for buses) and made it to bed, just after 1am.

It's now Saturday - I'm at work, it's cold. I spent an hour in Selfridges this morning, spending money like it was going out of fashion. As much as I love Christmas - I always leave it bankrupt!

No comments:

Post a Comment